February 19, 2015

Your 2015 Jackson County Legislature

Photo by Joe Calton
   The new Jackson County Legislature has been sworn into office, with Dennis Waits representing the Inter-City area along with Frank White, Jr., representing our area at-large.   A formal inauguration ceremony was held at the Truman Library on January 8.

   At the meeting on January 14, the legislature announced that they would hold a public hearing on the 20th of January at 2:30 p.m. for people to voice their opinions on the budget and on a proposed tax levy, but  nobody came to speak, and the public hearing was over and done with in about 20 seconds. 

   The $293 million budget was approved, around $4.7 million less than last year’s budget.  The county’s tax levy decreased slightly as well.

   Since that time, they’ve allocated around $3,250,000 of that budget. Click this link to see what they've spent it on.

   All of the spending measures were passed unanimously by the legislators present, with no discussion or debate.  Committee meetings where some of these measures were to be discussed were generally conducted in less than two minutes with no discussion or debate.

      The legislature also approved the hiring of Mary Lou Brown of Grand Island, Nebraska, for the position of Chief Administrative Officer for Jackson County.  Brown was asked to resign from her previous position as Grand Island city administrator in 2012 after a standoff with the city’s fire department that left their town without a fire chief for more than seven months.

     Frank White, Jr. serves as the Chairman of the Land Use Committee, with Dennis Waits serving as Vice Chair. Waits is Chairman of the Anti-Drug Committee, and serves on the Finance and Audit Committee.  Frank White Jr. was assigned to the Budget Committee and the committees for Health and Environment and Public Works.  Each committee has three members except for the Anti-Drug Committee, which has four.

   The Legislature meets 2:30 P.M. on Mondays, alternating between the downtown courthouse and the Independence courthouse.  

   You can find the schedule for these sessions at at this link.

   Legislator Waits can be reached at dwaits@jacksongov.org or by calling (816) 881-4441, and Frank White, Jr., at  fwhite@jacksongov.org  or by calling (816) 881-4477. 

What They’re Spending It On

A Breakdown of Jackson County Budget Allocations Approved as of February 9

$16,940 to the Jackson County Soil and Water Conservation District for soil and water conservation education

$25,000 for a part-time position within the Prosecuting Attorney's office

$30,000 to three outside agencies for violence and drug prevention purposes

$40,000 to the Westside Community Action Network for anti-drug purposes

$40,000 for a "Gender Specific Tracking Program," to provide gender specific monitoring of youths showing at risk factors (from a grant from the Missouri Department of Public Safety)

$48,000 to Union Station to allow indigent children to participate in its programs

$60,000 to the Southern Christian Leadership Council for partial funding of the 2015 Martin Luther King Day Celebration

$205,000 to the Mid-America Regional Council for them to pass on to six different organizations for public health purposes

$214,000.00 to twelve different agencies that assist homeless persons

$217,777 to outside organizations for parks and recreation services

$241,275.00 to the University of Missouri Extension Council of Jackson County to provide staff for the services they provide

$388,000 to the organization United Inner City Services for various health purposes

$1.9 million for various public health services provided to 30 local social service organizations

Sanders’ Rail Plan Would Connect Jackson County

   A hundred years ago, commuter rail lines took riders from Independence to places as far as St. Joseph and Excelsior Springs.  Then in the 1930s a company called National City Lines, backed by corporations like Standard Oil, Firestone Tires, and General Motors, started buying up transit companies and tearing out streetcar lines, replacing the rails with gas-guzzling, tire-wearing buses, and the era of regional rail transportation ended in our area, as it did in most cities.
Photo by Joe Calton
  Today, getting from Blue Springs to Independence using public transportation means a two hour plus trip on bus that first takes you to Downtown Kansas City and involves more than 20 minutes of walking.

   For an Inter-City resident who works a night shift anywhere, public transportation is impossible because the Independence buses only operate from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m.

   County Executive Mike Sanders has a plan to bring back regional rail that would eventually connect Independence, Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit, Raytown, and Kansas City.

      The plan involves using existing, unused railroad lines to transport workers, commuters, and tourists around areas that are un-served or under-served by the area’s current public transportation services.

   The county has received $10 million in federal funds, and has until September 30 to raise $49 million through cooperation with the city governments in order to secure the rail lines that will get the project underway.

Donna Pittman Keeps Curt’s Meats Famous

No Inter-City business has stood the test of time like Curt's Famous Meats.  For 68 years people in the Inter-City have counted on Curt's to bring them specialty cuts of meat that can't be found in many 21st century grocery stores.  From steak to lamb to frog's legs and more, the market in Maywood that the late Curtis Jones opened in 1947 continues to provide fresh, hand-cut meats to families around the Inter-City and beyond.  They sell meat bundles that feature a variety of meats and cuts at a large discount, and Curt’s serves lunch every day.

At the helm of this iconic landmark is Donna Pittman, who had to persuade a reluctant Mr. Jones to sell his business to a woman in 1989.  Not only did she succeed in keeping Curtis Jones' business alive, but she made Curt's Meats even more famous than it already was, competing in regional and national barbecue competitions and winning dozens of awards, including nine American Royal wins.  The name of the store was officially changed to "Curt's Famous Meats" in 2004, and is becoming even more famous for its staff of “Lady Meat Cutters,” women who don’t like to be called butchers but who cut meat skillfully in a way Curtis Jones may not have thought possible when he reluctantly sold his meat market to a lady back in 1989.

   Donna Pittman grew up in Independence on Main Street. The St. Mary’s graduate has spent decades working to improve the city and the lives of the people who live here.  This list of charities and community organizations she has donated her time and resources to is too long for this article, but she’s been recognized many times for her service to the community.

   She founded the Maywood Merchants Association in 2004, which a few years ago evolved into the Truman Gateway Redevelopment Committee, of which she’s the chairman.   The change was made so as to include more of the Inter-City area in the improvements the group is trying to effect, such as affordable housing, better sidewalks and transportation options, infrastructure repairs, beautification, and other general improvements.

     "With the increased building and demand for housing in Kansas City, we want to provide an attractive, more affordable alternative for people in the area to live," she says.  Pittman fully supports County Executive Mike Sanders’ commuter rail plan to connect Independence with the other cities in the Metropolitan area.

   The Truman Gateway group meets every other month in the Independence Chamber of Commerce board room.  The next meeting will be March 10 at 1:30 p.m.   Everyone is welcome to attend.  For more information on the organization contact Lindsay Browne at LBrowne@kclinc.org or stop by Curt’s Market and talk to Donna.

Catching Up with Virgil Troutwine

   Two days after winning the election for Jackson County Legislature in November, 1972, representing Inter-City in what was then the 7th district, Virgil Troutwine filed for re-election.  He told a Kansas City Times reporter it was so that his name would be on top of the ballot, and he had another reason.  “I think most of the people will want to vote for me after the outstanding job I’m going to do,” he explained.  Asked if he had done an outstanding job so far, Troutwine couldn’t say.  “We haven’t been sworn in yet!”

   The job he did that term was outstanding enough to get him re-elected for two more terms.  

   Before and after he served on the county legislature, Troutwine was a political powerhouse in the Inter-City.  Inspired by politicians like Judge Jack Gant and Bill Royster, he founded the Sugar Creek Young Democrats in 1962 and served as 5th Congressional District chairman of the Missouri Young Democrats.  He worked with other young future political leaders, like Carol Roper Park, campaigning for local, state-wide, and national candidates. 

   It was Royster who suggested that Virgil should run for the County Legislature in 1972.  Faced with fourteen candidates in the primary election, Troutwine easily won with over 50% of the vote.

   Some of the accomplishments during his years serving the citizens of the 7th district include setting up the County Auditor’s office, reforming property value assessment, getting a county leash law, bringing street lights to Blue Summit, sewer improvements, and he’s especially proud that as Chairman of the Land Use Committee he was able to help Sugar Creek get the appropriations needed to acquire the land for what is now Kaw Field, where for decades St. Mary’s High School played their football games.

   After leaving the legislature, Troutwine worked for six years in Jefferson City as Jackson County’s lobbiest.  After that he became the Director of Roads and Bridges in the county’s Public Works department.  During his first year on the job his department built over 100 miles of roads, more than his predecessor had completed during a decades-long tenure.  All of the county’s gravel roads were paved, and his department was recognized for its outstanding accomplishments every year by the State of Missouri.

   So what’s Virgil Troutwine up to now?

   He’s officially retired, unlike his mother, Goldie Troutwine, who at the age of 93 still serves her district on the Jackson County Democratic Committee and works one day a week at the Cash Saver’s grocery store on 24 Highway.  Virgil spends his time helping out his extended family and enjoys hunting, fishing, and searching for Native American artifacts.

   Is he still interested in politics?

   “Oh I’ll always be interested in politics,” he said.

     Have his political views changed over the years?

   “It’s not that I’ve moved to the right,” he said, “It’s that the Democratic party has moved so far to the left.  When I was serving in office were weren’t dealing with the social issues that define the parties today. The Democratic Party was the party for lower taxes.”

   How does he feel about government today?

   “The lower down you go the better government you get. In towns like Moseby and these smaller towns, you see those people out doing physical work to their town so they give their people good government.  The higher up you get, the only thing they’re interested in is their pay, their pension, and keeping their office.  But if you don't stay in line with the party you can't run.”

   And how does he feel about today’s Jackson County Legislature, with nearly half as many legislators serving a greater number of people?

   “I can tell you one thing… we worked a lot harder than they do.  The first three years when we were changing the government over  we worked all the time.  They certainly don't have to work as hard as we did back then.”

Goodbye, Gillmor Building

   A Fairmount landmark, the Gillmor Building, is in the process of being demolished.  Truman Medical Center, whose Fairmount Family Medical Care adjoins this property, acquired the building in 2013.

   At first the Historical Commission of the City of Independence strongly opposed the demolition, but an engineer’s study done in 2013 found the building was rife with crumbling and collapsing retaining walls and roofs, extensive fire damage,  and work to the electrical, gas, and plumbing that had been done so haphazardly that it was well beyond repair.  The building had not been secured, and the engineers found that a number of squatters had called the place home in the years of its vacancy.  There was no question that it had to be demolished.

   The owner of the property was Bo Kim, a limited liability corporation owned by Bo Tran and Kim Nguyen. Though they've faced condemnation proceedings in Kansas City, we've found no record of the LLC being cited for the condition they left the Gilmore Building in, nor have we yet been able to ascertain the conditions under which the property was transferred from their ownership to the Truman Medical Center.

   Construction began on the Gillmor Building in 1927. Dr. William L. Gillmor was a prominent Inter-City resident and well-respected physician in the Kansas City area.  He was killed by a train on the morning of February 5, 1925, after spending the night caring for a seriously ill patient.

   His son, C. Stewart Gillmor, also a physician, practiced out of this building.  In the 1930s, "Gillmor Hall" held dances every Saturday night. Over the years the building would be home to several dime stores, cafes, doctor’s offices, apartments, and a hardware store.

   For the time being, Truman Medical Center intends to turn the lots on which the Gillmor Building stands into an open, landscaped green space, but a representative from TMC told us that if and when funds become available, they may build on it, expand their clinic, or use it for some other purpose.

Body and Vehicle Recovered from River

  The body of Christopher R. Anderson, 29, who was reported missing by the Sugar Creek Police on the 23rd of September, 2014, was found in a vehicle that was submerged in the Missouri River near La Benite Park on December 19, 2014. 

  The Sugar Creek Police Department worked with the Missouri State Highway Patrol Underwater Rescue to locate the vehicle, and his name was not released until February 13.  Although police would not give any details about Mr. Anderson or the cause of his death, they do not suspect foul play in this incident.

  The Missouri Search and Rescue K-9 (MoSAR), Lee's Summit Underwater Rescue, the Sugar Creek Fire Department, the Jackson County Medical Examiner's Office, and the University of North Texas also assisted in the investigation.  
Photo by Joe Calton

   We will bring you more information about this tragedy as it becomes available.

Friday Fish Dinners at St. Ann's Church

   St. Ann’s Church will have their Famous Fish Dinners every Friday during Lent (except Good Friday) – February 20 to March 27, 2015 from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. 

   St. Ann’s is located at the corner of Cedar and Lexington in Independence, two blocks north of 24 Highway and Huttig.  The menu includes boiled shrimp, fried shrimp, whole catfish, catfish fillets, baked tortilla crust chipotle tilapia, baked panko breaded tilapia, French fries, boiled potatoes, coleslaw, hush puppies and cornbread.  

   Drinks are included with dinner.  Dinner prices range from $9.00 to $10.50.   A fish sandwich with fries is $4.00.  Ala carte items may be purchased separately.  Desserts are available and sold by the Altar Society.

Call 816-252-1160 for more information.

24 Highway & Sterling Redevelopment Moves Forward

Photo by Joe Calton
    On February 9 the Sugar Creek the Board of Aldermen approved a Memorandum of Understanding with the RH Johnson Company for the redevelopment of the long-delayed 24 Highway and Sterling project.   During the first phase, expected to last 60 to 120 days, the concept plan already underway will be further developed, and anchor tenants will be actively pursued.

   Jim Harpool, Vice President of Development for RH Johnson told us, “We still want to make this a grocery-anchored retail center so we are going to make every effort to secure a grocer for this location.  We're putting our team together, we've developed a new site plan and we're going to work very hard to try to move this along. 

    The RH Johnson Company has been recognized as a market leader in retail real estate services that includes all phases of retail development and management.

  Nearly 7 years after homes and business, many seized by eminent domain, were bulldozed for the creation of a shopping district at 24 Highway and Sterling, the stalled retail project may be seeing some light.

The Vaile Mansion ~ Part One

By Kent Burgess
Photo by Joe Calton
   Vaile Mansion, completed in 1881, was built for frontier tycoon Col. Harvey Merrick Vaile, and his wife, Sophia. The Vaile's were inspired by a mansion they saw while in the Normandy region of France during a vacation in the early 1870s.  It is a Second Empire Victorian-style mansion, with thirty-five rooms, set within the various four stories of the mansion.

   Harvey, who was a self-made man, was extremely intelligent. Born in 1831 in Vermont, his father, who was a farmer, moved to upstate New York in the 1840's. Here, he would meet his future wife, Sophia. He taught school in order to save up enough money to go to the University of Louisville, where he earned a degree in law.

    Upon graduation, and right before the Civil War, he practiced in Indianapolis, before moving to Kansas City in 1859, and was a strong supporter of the abolitionism movement.  He had a passion for education and abolitionism was also one of many passions. He desired to be in politics, and was a founding member of the newly formed Republican Party in Jackson County.

   His vast fortune was based off his involvement in the Star Route Mail system. Star Mail routes were the mode of transportation of mail through the territories that the Federal Postal service would not deliver mail through. This area was quite vast, and dangerous. He had the rights from 1863 until the early 1880's for the route to Sante Fe, NM, but in those days, it was Sante Fe, Mexico. The trade was international, which made the traffic heavy. It was more like UPS and Fed Ex as far as what parcels went back and forth. The trade likely involved American goods, usually fine crafted woodwork, or woven goods like exquisite dresses, for finely crafted gem works. Stage coaches and wagons were the primary forms of transportation utilized.

   Shortly after moving into his new mansion, misfortune visited them. 
   In 1882, Col. Vaile and everyone involved in the Star Routes, were summoned to court in Washington D.C. Harvey and all involved parties had been charged with defrauding the government. The subsequent trial ended in a not guilty verdict. This trial was front page news throughout the country in major papers up and down the coast. A year later, charges were brought up again. Once again, the Col. was found not guilty, but during the second trial, his wife, Sophia, who had been diagnosed with stomach cancer, passed away, creating a suspension of the trial so Harvey could return home to bury his wife. The date was Feb. 15th 1883, at 6 AM. Sophia only enjoyed the luxuries of Vaile Mansion for 18 months.

After the second trial, Col. Vaile divested himself of his lucrative operation and became involved in cattle breeding. He'd obtained vast swathes of land, not only locally, but throughout the territories when they became available. But his cattle’s’ breeding was cross-breeding of Herefords with Longhorn cattle and continued to add to his vast fortunes. It was viewed as a major success.

   His time in Washington D.C. had earned him many acquaintances in high places, and he was a lobbyist, when needed.

   Col. Vaile never remarried, nor did he have  any children.

   The area between Vaile Mansion, and Jones Rd., to US 24 Highway  and roughly to the border where the Truman Library was Harvey's original land tract for the Vaile Mansion. This was one of roughly 8 plots he owned in Jackson County, most of which reside within Independence borders today. But the plot where his house resided was surrounded by a huge grape vineyard with multiple apple trees for hard cider, because one of Harvey's other passions/distinctions was he was a connoisseur. He had a wine processing plant on his property, and a wine cellar with a capacity for 48,000 gallons of wine.

   The house was a 'house of the future' for it's time. It had access to natural gas, and had 'gasoliers'(chandeliers which used natural gas), and he accessed a natural spring within 100 feet of his house to fill-up 6000 gallon water tanks he'd built into his house, to become the first person in Jackson County to have indoor plumbing. The house contains 9 Carrara marble fireplaces, all engraved. Other interesting features include frescoes painted on many of the ceilings, ala Michelangelo. 

The house was Col. Vaile's rewards for such endeavors, and an o mage to his and Sophia's love of Victorian art. The house had a steep price of $150,000 in the 1880's to build, with $50,000 towards the brick work alone. Conversion rates would make that a $3-4 million dollar mansion in today's dollars.

Other interesting original items, which have all been restored to original condition, include the faux pas wood stain work. Most of the interior wood is pine, but Harvey wanted this house to exceed any other mansion, and had the pine stained to give the appearance of exotic woods such as mahogany, walnut, and birch. Another interesting fact is the colors on the walls match the original paint's colors. To see Victorian interiors is a whole other subject. Also, three chandeliers/gasoliers are original to the mansion. The craftsmanship is unprecedented for true masterly work that still exists from our predecessors.

Another interesting thing is, that besides having access to natural gas, when this mansion was built, it sat next to one of the cities many natural springs. In 1879, this plot of land was not within city limits. Col. Vaile was acquainted with the latest modern luxuries, which included a new concept called indoor pluming. With the access to the natural spring, he created an internal water system, including an 8000 gallon tank built into his house, to accommodate this luxury, giving him the distinction of being the first person in Jackson County to have indoor plumbing. 

   The house is essentially a museum, filled with Victorian-style furniture. It's a unique place to not only learn about the mansion, but to learn more about the Vaile's, and the times in which they lived. It will reopen on April 1st. There are many interesting events held on the property; strawberry Festival is by far the largest event of the year.

   Next issue I will discuss the second half of it's life.

Inter-City Winter

Photos by Joe Calton

Visit joecalton.com to see more Photos by Joe Calton

The History of Wayne City

By John Olinskey, III

   The first ferry location that is crossing the muddy mo was by Ft. Osage.  After the Fort was abandoned in 1822, whence it moved upstream to the confluence of the Little Blue, called Blue Mills Landing, also known as Pine's Ferry, located at the mouth of the Little Blue River and was "the most used and longest lasting."
   Next came Liberty Landing, located at the far north of a big horseshoe of the river, three miles south of Liberty, Missouri.  In 1825 an engineer, Shubael Allen, from back East, established a landing. Liberty Missouri had been around for about 3 years.  He also was an associate of the American Fur Company, founded in 1808 by John Jacob Astor, and went bankrupt in 1847, but in between sent a lot of dead mammal skins to Europe to be made into hats.  Big profits from trapping drove people west.

   John Baxter took over from Shubael in 1841, him being a wealthy man.  There as also an arsenal that later moved to Fort Leavenworth, way before the Civil War. Warehouses, hemp mills, baling, a wine vineyarette, but nothing equal to the next stop upstream, Wayne City.

   No one knows for sure when white people first crossed the Muddy Mo at the location that would one day be Wayne City.  According to Google Earth, the location is 39 degrees 08 36 46 N Latitude.  94° 25° 15.99° W Longitude.  780 feet above the Gulf of Mexico.

   Notice, per illustration, how slower it was at that time, free of sandbars.  Flooding in 1826 cleared out any.  In May of 1828, Thomas Frost purchased a license for a ferry from Jackson County.  Some river activity was already there, as someone else's name appeared on the records, which only go back to the 27th of May, 1827.  One and one half mile downriver from the Big Blue, Independence needed access to Liberty, Missouri, a dozen or so miles north and the markets in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

 Franklin, Missouri, was the origin of the Santa Fe Trail.  A year later, William Everett ran the ferry until he drowned in 1834.  William Ducker married his widow in 1836 and it became Ducker's Ferry, he had three employees in 1840.  Nobody knows exactly how the ferry passed the river, but it was probably by poles.

   Prices from May 1828: For a loaded wagon and five horses, $1.50.  For an empty wagon and no horses, $1.  For a light wagon or dearborn, 50 cents.  For a two-wheeled carriage, 50 cents.  For a man on a horse, 25 cents.  For each horse without a rider, 12½  cents.  For every head of meat cattle, 12½ cents.  For each hog, sheep, or goat, five cents; for each person on foot, 12½ cents.  For each 100 pounds of lumber not belonging to a wagon, 12½  cents.  All other prices stayed the same until 1833, when 100 pounds of lumber went down to a dime.  In 1841, William Gilpin came to town, and things would change.

First Steamboat Up the Missouri River

The first steamboat to travel up the Missouri River was named the Western Engineer in 1819.  Built at the U.S. Arsenal in Pittsburgh, Ohio.  Built of wood, it was 13x75 feet and a draft of only 19 inches (empty) to 30 inches (loaded).  Powered by 3 boilers, 20 inches by 15 feet below deck, and weighed 30 tons.  The Captain was Major Stephen Long, built specifically by the United States of America for an expedition up the Missouri River, to be called the Yellowstone Expedition.

   "The object of the expedition is to acquire as thorough and accurate knowledge as may be practicable of a portion of our country which is daily becoming more interesting, but which is yet imperfectly known.  With this in view, you will permit nothing of notice to escape your attention.  Signed, Secretary of War, John G. Calhoun"

   On June 19, 1819, she reached St. Louis.  It took her 36 days.

   At the front of the boat, a huge black serpent rose from the river, spouting steam and a scream that could be heard for miles.  The object was to scare the hell out of Native Americans who, in the past, had shot arrows and thrown spears.  She also contained three small brass cannons, and traveled upstream at only 3 miles per hour.  But this would have given the captain and crew time to try and avoid sandbars and dead trees. 

   A painting of a white guy shaking hands with a "savage" was painted on her sides.  It has been said that the Western Engineer did more to tame the Natives than all the cannonballs and grapeshot up to that time.  No one threw a spear or shot an arrow.

   She left St. Louis on June 21, 1819.  Before reaching St. Bellefontaine, a distance of only 4 miles, it was stuck on two sandbars.  A Native American in Franklin, Missouri, described it thus:

   "White man bad man, keeping a great spirit chained and built fire under it, and make it work a boat."

   Passing Fort Osage, still in business, in late August, the Captain and crew went into winter quarters September 17, just north of Omaha, Nebraska.

   The second steamboat, called the Yellowstone, passed in 1831.  She was a commercial enterprise of the American Fur Company of Lexington, Kentucky.  She weighed in at 144 tons, was 120 ft x 20 ft, she could carry 72 passengers and a crew of 22.  The Yellowstone's job was eventually to make it to the Yellowstone River, where the company had a trading post.

In Memory ~ Jerry Wayne Patton ~ 1959-2015

  Jerry was born October 6, 1959 in Independence Mo to Carol and Phillip Patton. As Jerry was growing up he spent many days hunting, fishing, and camping in the woods with his Grandpa Reeves, as well as spending quality time with his Grandma Reeves and Grandma Coats. He served 12 years with the Army National Guard.
   He moved to Springfield Mo and went to work for the circus, traveling extensively doing lighting for them as well as taking care of the different animals and driving their semi's from town to town. He also spent alot of time in Osceola with Grandpa Reeves and his extended family there.

   Then Jerry moved to Florida where he had a large extended family and an adopted a puppy he named Bob, who became his faithful companion for the rest of his life.

    While Jerry was in Florida he broke his ankle and couldn't work. He and Bob moved to the Florida Swamp homeless camp and he used the knowledge gained from his Grampa Reeves to survive there for 6 months until he healed enough to go back to his friends and his work.

   Jerry brought Bob back to Sugar Creek, and lived here with his mom while working as a busboy and dishwasher at Kross's lounge.

   After 3 years he and Bob went back to Florida.

   He had a stroke on April 1, 2012, which left him paralyzed on his right side and he lost the ability to talk. That in itself broke a lot of his spirit, but he continued to try to make the best of a bad situation. Jerry was brought back to Kansas City and was in a nursing home until Aunt Bea packed him up and took him down to Thayer, Mo., to an awesome nursing home that was more like the family Jerry needed at the time. He was adopted there by a little lady named Nora who would sneak down the hall at night and bring him all kinds of snacks.

   In November of 2014 Jerry came back to live with Aunt Bea at Grandma Reeves home, with Bob in tow. He unfortunately fell and broke his hip.      He came home where Crossroads Hospice helped until he passed away on January 1, 2015.

   He leaves his son, Jerry Wayne Patton Jr., of Mena, Arkansas, and a daughter, Jamie Patton, Independence, and 5 grandchildren. He also leaves a half-sister Kimberly Goldsmith of Independence and half-brother Perry Steele Patton of California; his mother Carol Coats Patton, his uncles, Fred and Regina (Bitsy) Coats, Bob and Terri Coats, and Kelly (Butch) and Coleen Coats. He also leaves his Aunt Bea Bentley and her family, his extended family in Florida, his friends Crystal and Craig Monks and family of Independence, as well as a host of friends and family he made throughout his lifetime.

Jerry will be missed by all and especially his faithful dog Bob.

Send tributes to editor at inter-citynews.com

February 13, 2015

BREAKING - Body Recovered from Missouri River Identified

Press Release just issued from the Sugar Creek Police Department:

Recovery Effort from December 19, 2014.
Photo by Joe Calton for the Inter-City News
On 12-19-2014, members of the Sugar Creek Police Department, with the assistance of the Missouri State Highway Patrol Underwater Rescue, located a vehicle submerged in the Missouri River at Labenite Park.   The submerged vehicle was towed to shore, and human remains, ultimately identified as those of Christopher R. Anderson, were recovered from the scene.   Police do not suspect foul play in this incident.  

Anderson was reported by the Sugar Creek Police Department as a missing person on 09-23-2014, and a request was sent to the media to aid in the search of Anderson.   The Sugar Creek Police Department received extensive assistance in this investigation from the Missouri State Highway Patrol, Missouri Search and Rescue K-9 (MoSAR), Lee's Summit Underwater Rescue, the Sugar Creek Fire Department, the Jackson County Medical Examiner's Office, and the University of North Texas.    Questions regarding this investigation are to be forwarded to Detective Sergeant Matt Kline at 816-252-5560 or mkline at sugar-creek.mo.us

February 10, 2015

BREAKING - 24 & Sterling Development Moves Forward

Last night in Sugar Creek the Board of Aldermen approved a Memorandum of Understanding with the RH Johnson Company with respect to the redevelopment of the long-delayed 24 Highway and Sterling project.   During the first phase, expected to last 60 to 120 days, the concept plan already underway will be further developed, and anchor tenants will be actively pursued.

The RH Johnson company has been recognized as a market leader in retail real estate services that includes all phases of retail development and management.

More information will be upcoming in our print edition, which will be in stores within the week, and here on the website.